If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me.

-Matthew 10:39 (the Message)

Thursday 1 November 2007

Terror embodied

So there is a reality that I have not wanted to face for a very long time. I may have lost my gift. I haven't commitedly and successfully played piano since before I was beaten up. I wonder if the hits I took to the head when I was beaten up caused some brain damage that wouldn't be recognized. Most people think with a certain amount of their brain. I always found school easy until that day. After that, focusing became nearly impossible and anything that involved both sides of my brain at the same time is a chore. I can't seem to make my fingers do what they are supposed to. When I try to play, I can hear what the music should sound like in my head, but it doesn't sound like that when I try to play it. I know I have to be patient and try to practice, but I'm not used to having to practice very much. The music came to me before as if it was already a part of me. I could master a song in a matter of a month. I have now worked on the same songs for a month and they sound no better to my ears than they did when I began. Kenny Masters wrote a book called Effortless Mastery. He said in there that sometimes you will get to a point when it is about mastering everything at this level. He had a teacher who stopped this thinking. They stopped playing songs altogether. He had to do a 5 finger exercise over and over for his entire practice time. It wasn't about perfecting it or impressing anyone. It was about enjoying the exercise. This is a point that I haven't gotten to yet. I tried to jump in with guns blazing, but I don't think I'm ready yet. I want to go back to grade 7 and remind myself of the songs I loved that year. Grade 7 was the last time I really remember enjoying music. I know I can never completely go back, but maybe if I experience something that used to grab me, kind of like when worship has gone dry, sometimes experiencing something simple that used to light you on fire can reignite the flame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the enjoying part of the music. And I loved Grade 7 the year I did it too. Go back review and revel in the "I remember when...feeling the stories! " It helps in focusing the future. I've just sung my first love song since I was 16. And with passion and feeling. It's freeing. Rejoice in those things the Lord has given by remember the joy in the past even as you get to push towards new joys in the future!!!

You know who!