If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me.

-Matthew 10:39 (the Message)

Sunday 12 May 2013

A Mother's Day Lament and A Glimmer of Hope (I Hope)

To all the mothers out there who gave your children up for adoption, had your children taken away, whether permanently or temporarily, lost your children to death either before or after birth; to the children out there who never knew their mothers, because of adoption, death, or life circumstances; I pray that you would find solace for your grief today no matter how old it is. God knows your heart and your pain and will send His Spirit to console you through it if you let him. The grief may sneak up on you unexpectedly or you may feel it coming miles away, but in either case, it needs to be honoured. As Mahbod Seraji said in Rooftops of Tehran "A mother without her child is like a vein without blood" and words can't describe the anguish of a child without a mother. For the mothers, I pray that God will show you a place where you can use the natural longing to nurture, teach, and care for someone in a special way. For the children, I pray God would bring someone into your life that will show you a glimmer of the love and support a mother would no doubt have given you.

Mothers and motherhood are a critical part of any journey. Though I celebrate my own mother with exuberant joy and look forward to spending time with her this summer, I grieve that I am unable to pour into my own daughter's life and hurt deeply as I wait for God to bring the privilege of motherhood back into my life. For those who are not grieving today, celebrate powerfully with your mothers, children and grandchildren. They are something to be cherished. See the gift God has given you in them and let them know how you feel about them.

If you look on a woman whose heart is breaking, say a prayer for her and love her out loud. Whether she knows it or not, it will help to assuage the painful void that is so difficult to leave behind.

For those that need it, take refuge in the Word of God. I pray it would not fall like empty platitudes on those who need its wisdom.

John 16:21-22 "Whenever a woman is in labor she has pain, because her hour has come; but when she gives birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy that a child has been born into the world. Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you."

No comments: