If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me.

-Matthew 10:39 (the Message)

Thursday 7 October 2010

In Jesus Name

So you'd think with what I believe, I would be completely in support of this phrase. In reality, I despise it. The phrase says "I don't have the capacity to love that person, so I'm going to do it in Jesus name". It almost releases us from the responsibility of changing who we are to become the people God made us to be.

I was talking to someone about a close friend I am worried about and they said at the end of the conversation "You just need to keep loving them in Jesus name". What if I want to love them in my name? Are they really so unlovable that I cannot out of my own strength love them? I think not. Just because I am not saying I am loving them in Jesus name, doesn't mean Jesus doesn't love them. I dont have to love them in Jesusname because God created the capacity in me to love regardless of the circumstances. It is not perfect, I judge and criticize and become selfish sometimes, but ultimately I am able to love that person. It really has gotten me thinking about the phrase and why it is used. Really put me off.

Sorry for the rant, but it was bugging me.

No comments: